Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Road To Marken

In a wooden shoe!



Sunday proved to be a very beautiful, sunny day. Alas! Well overdue with all this rain! Nacho made the very smart suggestion of getting out of the city, and so that's just what we did. We took the 10 minute ferry across the water and made our way north to the tiny island village of Marken. Nacho has a scooter, so we were able to zip along on the little roads seeing many cows, horses, and sheep. Also, to our right was, Markermeer, a very large lake that was full of sailboats enjoying a sunny Sunday afternoon.

A long the way we passed a couple adorable small villages. We had refreshments at a couple cafe's, and also had a small picnic along the water. We went to Marken's tiny museum and learned about the history of the place. They had to re-build it so many times. It kept on going into the sea. Why they didn't just move inland is beyond me.

On the way home I learned how to drive the scooter. The hand clutch was a little tricky. Especially getting started going up a tiny incline. I got the hang of it a little bit, but I think it'll take some more practice until I feel confident driving it in the city. And then I shall steal it :)

We ended the day getting drinks with some friends we ran into on the ferry back. All in all, I would say it was a very successful day!





















No comments:

Post a Comment