Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pride Weekend 2011

There are two massive parties that happen in this city every year. One, is Queens Day, that happens April 30th. I unfortunately missed Queens Day this year, but I look forward to partaking in next year's festivities. The other massive party is Pride. Last Saturday the city was decked out in pink everything (down to garbage bags) and rainbow colored balloons, flags, and streamers appearing over doors, in trees, and on people...

It was quite the sight.

There were events happening all over the city from concerts, to films, to exhibits. The large central event was of course the parade that took place on Saturday afternoon. The Princengracht canal was overflowing with people on the streets, hanging out of windows, and partying on boats. The parade consisted of tons of boats carrying dancing people adorning matching costumes and spraying confetti everywhere. It was fun to see a lot of corporate floats. One of my favorites was the postal service sporting a giant blown-up muscular guy. Come to think of it...I wonder how they got that guy under the low canal bridges...

As the parade drew to an end, the boats that were lining the canal followed the parade out of Princengracht onto the Amstel where they partied well into the evening.

The events for myself that day:
Woke up early and went to Ikea. I know. Not too exciting. But I got a bed, and that makes me very happy.

Around 1:30 I headed over to Katja and Jas's (a couple of work folks) place for brunch. The brunch theme was Village People. I was a little late on that note, so I didn't have a costume, but the rest of my friends were looking smashing. After a couple hours of nibbling vittles and sipping mimosas we ventured out the check out the scene.

Our band of policemen, cowboys, and Indians wandered/danced up Princengracht taking in the scene. Found ourselves in a bar once a very short but violent downpour started. And ended the evening in another bar. It 'twas a gay 'ol time.




Photo credit Jas:







A video clip of the scene:







I should not have trusted Ward to do my face paint. I mean look at the guy—he's wearing two pairs of shades...if that doesn't say 'crazy' I don't know what does.



The aftermath:


A family outing:


Daisy's lovely drink:


The canal boats following the parade out:





The garbage on the streets when everyone cleared out was quite impressive. Also impressive was how the cleaners materialized immediately after the crowds were gone.





SUNDAY:

Sunday was a fairly lovely day out. I started the day with a movie in bed (Delicatessen) and then did some grocery shopping. Rachel came over and made some snacks with me and we shared a small feast out on the terrace, followed by some lounging and watching another movie.

(Afternoon feast: Pitas with spinach and tzatziki / lox, mango, avocado salad / basil, mozzarella, tomato salad / artichoke hearts )

Ikea delivered my bed, and after a couple hours of assembling, I can now proudly proclaim I'm no longer sleeping on the ground :)

Earlier in the day I discovered refried beans at the store at the end of my block, (a very exciting event for yours truly), so we feasted on some grandly delicious burritos for dinner; joined by Cari, and her adorable new kitten, Uncle Peit.

Solid weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment