Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Making Russian Dumplings — Pel Meni

Last night I did something I've been meaning to do for...over 3 years now...I learned how to make Pel Meni.

Russian Dumplings are called Pel Meni. They're the consistency of a pot sticker, and are often times stuffed with meat or potato.

Pel' Meni is also the name of a Russian dumpling restaurant in Bellingham located on N. State Street. I loved this place, and I frequented it quite a bit back in college.

I have long craved these dumplings, but alas, I'm no longer anywhere near Bellingham. So it was time to learn how to make them. I was lucky enough to find their ingredients for toppings awhile back, so it was just a matter of some internet research to figure out how to make the dumpling itself.

My dumplings were not the exact consistency of the Bellingham ones...but I'm sure after practice I'll get it.

First I made my mashed potatoes for the stuffing. In the future, I may make the stuffing more interesting with onions and such, but for now I was mainly interested in making these exactly the way I had them in Bellingham.

The dough was just flour, eggs, and water. Simply put...I need more practice with the dough. But it worked.



Add a little potato (not too much). Pinch the dough around the filling to make a half moon shape, and then pinch the two ends together to make them more circular.



Drop them in boiling water. They quickly rise to the top, and then you cook them 3 minutes. Just do a few at a time so they don't stick together.


And the best part—toppings! White vinegar, curry powder, hot sauce, cilantro, and sour cream. It tasted so good! Just as I remember them in Bellingham.




I made a bunch of extra dumplings that I put in the freezer (careful they weren't touching each other) and will be ready for a quick dinner in the future.

If you live in the States, near a Trader Joe's, you can buy frozen potato dumplings and make this meal in about 5 minutes.

If you're curious about the recipe, let me know and I'll send it to you.

1 comment:

  1. It looks like it took you leaving the States to finally get excited about cooking! Those look delicious!

    ReplyDelete